What’s more festive than a traditional corned beef dinner on St. Patrick’s Day? Dessert! Corned beef isn’t green but Chef En-Ming’s Sip! Extraordinary Chocolate Grasshopper Mousse is. Call her crazy because she created a non-alcoholic version of this popular classic. If you prefer, substitute a tablespoon of Crème de Menthe for the peppermint extract in the Grasshopper Whipped Cream. Either way, you’ll love the contrast of the creamy, decadent mousse and the sweet, crunchy, chocolate crumbles.
Have you run out of a Sip! flavor listed in the recipe? Simply replace it with another flavor or restock your pantry here. Wishing you a pot o’ gold this St. Patrick’s Day!
Sip! Extraordinary Chocolate Grasshopper Mousse
☘️ SIP! CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT CRUMBLES ☘️
- 40 g. (1/3 c. + 1 t.) Sip! Extraordinary Drinking Chocolate, Peppermint flavor
- 20 g. (7 1/2 t.) all-purpose flour
- 40 g. (3 T. + 1 1/2 t.) sugar
- 0.5 g. (1/8 t.) salt
- 40 g, (2 T. + 2 t.) unsalted butter, melted
☘️ SIP! EXTRAORDINARY CHOCOLATE MOUSSE ☘️
- 4 g. (1/2 t.) unflavored gelatin powder
- 20 g. (4 t.) cold water
- 215 g. (7/8 c.) whole milk
- 50 g. (7 T.) Sip! Extraordinary Drinking Chocolate, Dark Chocolate flavor
- 100 g. (7 T.) heavy cream, chilled
- 20 g. (4 t.) sugar
- 2.5 g. (1/2 t.) pure vanilla extract
☘️ GRASSHOPPER WHIPPED CREAM ☘️
- 120 g. (1/2 c.) heavy cream, chilled
- 20 g. (4 t.) sugar
- 1.25 g. (1/4 t.) peppermint extract
- 1-2 drops green food color
☘️ PEPPERMINT SHAMROCK ☘️
- Guittard peppermint baking chips
- green decorating sugar
METHOD: SIP! CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT CRUMBLES
- Combine all the ingredients together. Mix until crumbly.
- Spread the crumbs onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in a preheated 300℉ oven for 10 minutes. The crumbs will melt together as they bake.
- Remove the tray from the oven. Break up the mixture with an offset spatula and stir to form crumbles.
- Bake for 5 minutes longer. Remove from the oven and stir again.
- Bake for a total of 25 to 28 minutes, stirring one or two more times.
- To test if the crumbles are done, cool a small quantity on a cold surface. The crumbles are done if they are crunchy.
- Cool and store airtight for up to 2 weeks.
METHOD: SIP! EXTRAORDINARY CHOCOLATE MOUSSE
- Sprinkle the gelatin powder over the cold water and soak for 5 minutes.
- Combine the milk and Sip! Extraordinary Drinking Chocolate in a small saucepan.
- Whisk over medium heat to a simmer. Remove from heat and transfer to a medium- size mixing bowl. Scrape the saucepan well with a rubber spatula.
- Add the soaked gelatin to the hot chocolate mix and whisk until dissolved.
- Cool the chocolate mixture to 65℉ or room temperature. An ice bath will accelerate this process. Whisk the chocolate mix occasionally and don’t cool below 65℉. Rewarm if needed.
- While the chocolate is cooling, combine the heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla extract. Whip until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the cooled chocolate. The mousse will be pourable.
- To assemble the desserts, place 2 tablespoons of Sip! Chocolate Peppermint Crumbles in the bottom of each serving glass. Divide the Sip! Chocolate Mousse between the glasses. Cover each glass and refrigerate for at least 2 hours until set.
- Make the Grasshopper Whipped Cream while the desserts set.
METHOD: GRASSHOPPER WHIPPED CREAM
- Combine all the ingredients and whip until firm peaks form.
- Cover and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
METHOD: PEPPERMINT SHAMROCK
- Melt Guittard peppermint baking chips carefully in the microwave. Fill a small disposable pastry bag and cut a small tip. Pipe a shamrock shape onto wax paper and sprinkle with green decorating sugar. Allow a few minutes for them to set before peeling the shamrocks carefully from the paper.
TO FINISH ASSEMBLY
- Sprinkle one tablespoon of Sip! Chocolate Peppermint Crumbles on top of the chilled mousse.
- Place a large spoon of Grasshopper Whipped Cream on top of the crumbles.
- Garnish with a Peppermint Shamrock.
- Serve immediately.